Before signing up, let me explain what it’s like being a bookie.
Whether your business is big or small, the same fundamentals apply. The only difference is that a big operation can employ people to handle the majority of the tasks.
I know some of you are likely dreaming about sipping margaritas in the sun on an island. While that is a possible result of being a bookie, that isn’t how the life of a bookie starts out.
The Life of a Bookie
Everyone always asks “What’s daily life like for a bookie”? To be honest, that’s subjective.
Being a bookie doesn’t automatically change the way you’re living your daily life. In fact, a lot of our clients run their sportsbook part-time and still work a regular 9-5 job.
With that being said, there are certain things you can expect to perform on a regular, if not daily, basis. The life of a bookie can be very rewarding, but things also need to get done.
Here’s a quick breakdown of some of the daily tasks you can expect to work on:
- Setting/Adjusting Markets: While we handle all of the odds for our clients and adjust them in real-time, you can also make changes. Some of the reasons bookies move the market at their own book are because of likely betting activity, profit margin or personal outlook.
- Customer Service: Staying in contact with your players, especially when your player list is small, is important. Being a bookie requires great customer service skills. Sports bettors have a lot of betting options online, so retention of your clients should be paramount.
- Advertising: You’re going to be competing with thousands of online bookies and the best way to get new customers is going to be through advertising once you exhaust your friends/family.
- Payment Processing: With local clients on credit, you may have a collection day once a week or month. Once you start accepting post-up players you’ll need to process payments.
- Development: We develop a custom gaming site for all of our clients, but the development of your business should never stop. Always try to improve your customer’s experience.
Is Being a Bookie Fun?
We know the life of a bookie may not look entertaining based on the bullet points above.
While we wanted to share what the daily life of a bookie is like for small PPH bookies initially, I also want to note that being a bookmaker is a rewarding experience with a ton of benefits.
Once you have enough clients to go full-time it can change your life. Instead of having to work a 9-5 job, you’ll be able to spend more time growing your business and spending time with friends/family.
If you’re looking for a life of nightlife that’s possible as well. Your hours are flexible as a bookie and since we provide player support for your clients, you don’t need to be available that often.
You can explore any hobbies you have been wanting to try. You can travel anywhere in the world and still run your business. The flexibility is one of the best aspects of being a bookie.